History of our church
November 8, 1837
John Coe and his wife Lavinia T. Coe gave the land on which the church was to be built.
1837 - 1838
During the fall and winter months the Congregational Church was built in Center Harbor without the vestry and vestibule of today. The Church was built by dedicated men as a free-will offering. Pews were sold to help defray the expense of material.
January 14, 1838
The first Sunday service was held in the new Meeting House.
The Church building was raised from its foundation and a vestry built beneath the original structure. At this time the vestibule, chancel and choir loft were also added and the present windows were installed.
The Church sanctuary was wired for electricity. Funds were provided in loving memory of Mr. and Mrs. Rufus Fellows by their daughters, Ella M. Fuller, Emma J. Stanley and Henrietta H. Morse.
The Center Harbor Fire Company was organized and for several years the Church bell was used for a fire alarm.
The Carillon Chimes with amplifier were given in memory of Clarence E. Nichols by his many friends.
The Church members voted on June 20, 1969 to sell a parcel of land to the Parlemont Realty Trust who built the Post Office which is now leased to the United States Postal Department.
The present Mollor pipe organ was installed.
The church undertook a major building program and added a two story parish house with a full kitchen. The hall is dedicated to longtime member Bernice Gilpatric.
The church began a Mission of the Month to encourage regular giving throughout the year.
We received a legacy from Gertrude Matthes' estate allowing the church to purchase the property that is currently the main parking lot, establish non-competitive college scholarships for members entering college and competitive scholarships for others in the Inter-Lakes and Moultonborough school districts and create a missions fund that matches members' donations to the church missions.
The church stated Community Caregivers as a ministry, offering non-medical services to area residents. This ministry has grown to become an independent non-profit organization.
Store-to-Door began, delivering groceries to residents.
The church continues to be a prominent landmark in Center Harbor Village and we are very proud of our heritage.